Office of Grants & Scientific Publications
In 1995, UAMS established a scientific writing resource—the Office of Grants & Scientific Publications (OGSP)—to help increase extramural funding and strengthen research at UAMS.
OGSP editors work collaboratively with investigators to produce effective and persuasive scientific documents that have a competitive edge in securing extramural funding. Working with OGSP editors is also a mentoring experience that can improve an investigator’s skills for using language, formatting and visuals to effectively deliver a message to the target audience.
In support of UAMS’ vision of becoming an internationally recognized health sciences center, the mission of OGSP is to:
- Serve the UAMS research community as a scientific writing and editorial resource for researchers, with the goal of enhancing their chances of obtaining extramural grant funding or publishing in peer-reviewed journals;
- Teach UAMS researchers grantsmanship and proposal development through mentoring, workshops and presentations;
- Search for continual improvements to the office’s services by engaging in appropriate data gathering and analysis aimed toward refining efficacious methods; and
- Improve the health of Arkansans by working as part of the UAMS community to develop educational and outreach materials and by assisting in policy development.
What we do
Editorial services are available for multiple types of writing projects, but OGSP’s first priority is to help investigators succeed in the highly competitive process of securing extramural grant funding. The team of OGSP editors can help researchers clarify and refine the presentation of their hypotheses, data and conclusions, resulting in compelling applications that highlight the strengths of their proposed research and ideas. Editors also help ensure that applications are responsive to goals of the funding agency and/or award mechanism. Editorial services range from grammatical assistance (e.g., for a scientist whose native language is not English) to substantive editing and suggestions for reorganization of text.
Budget and forms services are available to help investigators prepare budgets and forms and facilitate the UAMS submission process for extramural grants and contracts.
In addition, OGSP staff members offer grantsmanship training to UAMS faculty and staff through workshops and seminars. A formal internship program also is available to help personnel at UAMS or affiliated organizations further develop these skills in grantsmanship.
Whom we serve
OGSP serves faculty investigators across the UAMS campus, including those applying for their first grants and experienced researchers facing an increasingly competitive funding environment. OGSP services are available to faculty from all UAMS colleges as well as organizations that partner with UAMS in research. In most cases, costs for OGSP services are covered through administrative contracts rather than charging individual investigators; this will be discussed when services are requested.
Who we are
OGSP provides the campus with science editors who are:
- Grounded in biological sciences, social sciences and medical writing;
- Experienced in research project and consortium development; and
- Skilled in grantsmanship, document organization, and document design.
How to obtain services
To receive assistance, contact OGSP to discuss needed services and deadlines. Please note that several months’ notice may be required for scheduling large, multidisciplinary projects, especially for standard NIH deadlines.
Requests for assistance are evaluated and prioritized by the director of OGSP and institutional leaders on the basis of scientific merit, institutional priority and funding or publication potential.
DeAnn E. Hubberd, MA
Walker Annex, Second Floor, Suite 2-011
Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute
4301 West Markham, #752
Little Rock, AR 72205
This site was created and is maintained by the UAMS Office of Grants and Scientific Publications. All contents © 2011.