OGSP Administration and Staff
OGSP is an administrative component of the Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute.
- Lawrence E. Cornett, PhD, Director of OGSP. Dr. Cornett is a professor in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, the Executive Associate Dean for Research in the College of Medicine, and the Vice Chancellor for Research for UAMS. His research interests include the role of beta2-adrenergic receptors in mediating airway responsiveness in asthma and hormonal regulation of stress responses. In addition, Dr. Cornett is the Director of the Arkansas INBRE, an NIH-funded program to develop biomedical research infrastructure in the state.
- DeAnn E. Hubberd, MA, Associate Director. Day-to-day operations of the office are in the hands of the Associate Director. DeAnn is experienced in leading and managing non-profit organizations and is highly skilled in organizational communications. She has assisted groups in planning, budgeting, organizing, and submitting complex grant applications, including program projects and government contracts. DeAnn has also written and designed executive summaries, reports, educational materials, brochures, newsletters, and websites. As her administrative duties allow, DeAnn also finds time to edit grant proposals and manuscripts.
- Sharon Antoon, BA, Project Specialist. Sharon has been with OGSP for 14 years and specializes in coordinating all office activities, including those geared toward grant application preparation and submission. She schedules and coordinates grant planning meetings, manages human resource and billing issues, and provides all other administrative support for OGSP. Before joining OGSP, Sharon worked as the office manager for Centers for Youth and Families in Little Rock and was the director of the Cardiac Analysis Center at the Little Rock Arkansas Cardiology Clinic.
OGSP science editors are
- Grounded in biological sciences, social sciences, and medical writing
- Experienced in research project and consortium development
- Skilled in grantsmanship, document organization, and document design/format
Peggy Brenner, PhD, ELS, Science Writer and Editor. Peggy has 14 years of experience in scientific writing and editing. She holds a PhD in biochemistry and molecular biology from the University of California, Davis, and she also taught and conducted research at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Peggy has written her own funded grant applications, as well as abstracts, manuscripts, and slide presentations. As an editor, she is skilled in a broad range of areas, including substantively editing research proposals, manuscripts, brochures, and reports, as well as organizing and preparing figures. Peggy is a board-certified Editor in the Life Sciences and is a member of the American Medical Writers Association.
Bill Gabello, MA, Science Writer and Editor. Bill has more than 25 years of experience in scientific and medical book and magazine publishing. His experience working for medical/scientific publishers in New York City and its environs extended from book production to copyediting, medical book project development, and writing and editing articles for primary care physicians (Patient Care magazine). Before joining OGSP in May 2000, Bill worked as a freelance writer and editor. Bill holds degrees in English literature and is a member of the American Medical Writers Association.
Christine Oots, MS, Science Writer and Editor. Christine has been editing and assisting writers for several decades. She holds a Master’s degree in community mental health. After years of managing a team of editors and improving numerous financial and legal documents for an investment banking firm, she turned to developing skills in science writing and grant application editing. Christine took a turn as managing editor of a nascent medical journal, but returned to OGSP because of her desire to continue working with the innovative and dedicated investigators and fellow science writers at UAMS.