Radiation Oncology Centerchadley
Key Points about Radiation Oncology
- Radiation therapy uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells by damaging their DNA.
- Radiation therapy can damage normal cells as well as cancer cells. Therefore, treatment must be carefully planned to minimize side effects.
- The radiation used for cancer treatment may come from a machine outside the body, or it may come from radioactive material placed in the body near tumor cells or injected into the bloodstream.
- A patient may receive radiation therapy before, during, or after surgery, depending on the type of cancer being treated.
- Some patients receive radiation therapy alone, and some receive radiation therapy in combination with chemotherapy.
About Radiation Oncology
Radiation Oncology Center