October 22, 2010

Robert Daugherty | Multiple Myeloma Survivor

Robert Daugherty | Multiple=

“I knew something was wrong with me in 2008. I weighed 350 pounds and my kidneys had shut down. I had a kidney biopsy in North Carolina and was diagnosed with light-chain deposition disease, which is often associated with myeloma. I wanted a second opinion, so I went to see another doctor in Chapel Hill and was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

I talked to someone who was a myeloma patient at UAMS and he said that I needed to come here. We told our doctor in North Carolina that we just wanted to get to Little Rock. A week later we came for what we thought was just a consultation, but we didn’t go back home for three months.

While we were here we met Joseph Moneymaker, who is also a myeloma patient. As it turns out we live about 15 miles from each other in North Carolina. We’ve become good friends and held fundraisers for the myeloma patient support fund back home.

When I got here, I was in bad shape. You saved my life. My kidneys don’t function, so I’m on dialysis. I’ve had my ups and downs and stared death in the face three times. But now I’ve been in remission for two years. If you’re diagnosed with cancer, you just have to hang in there and never give up. I couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

Robert Daugherty
Multiple myeloma survivor
Bear Creek, N.C.