November 18, 2010

Daisy and Lewis Lamb | Cancer Survivors

Daisy and Lewis Lamb Cancer Survivors

Daisy Lamb: “Sixteen years ago, I passed out and was taken to the hospital. After a week of tests, the doctor said that I had colon cancer that had spread to my lymph nodes. He didn’t think I would ever be able to leave the hospital.

I had a colon resection and 52 bouts of weekly chemo. I’m doing great and haven’t ever had a recurrence.

My husband, Lewis, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2003. For both of us, the days when we were diagnosed were devastating. That’s why I volunteer as an MVP with myeloma patients.

As an MVP, I spend every Monday helping a new myeloma patient on their first day of treatment. I show them everywhere they will go for their first week of testing so they don’t get confused. I give them my phone number in case they have any questions. I try to do anything I can to take the stress off of them.

It was important for me to volunteer with myeloma patients because that’s where my heart is. I can empathize because I’ve been there. I tell them my husband’s story and how well he’s doing now.

People don’t want you to say that you know how they feel, because you really don’t know. But I can relate to their difficult situation and help them process it. If I can do anything to make their first week of testing easier, I do it.”