March 21, 2011

Virginia Kelsey | Squamous Cell Carcinoma Survivor

Virginia Kelsey Throat cancer survivor

“I had a sore throat about six years ago. I put off going to the doctor for a long time. I had a tonsil removed and they found the cancer. I was 40 years old at the time and a nonsmoker. 

The ear, nose and throat doctor that I saw in Bentonville sent me to the Cancer Institute. He said that it was the best ENT clinic in the state. 

I was on a feeding tube for seven months, but didn’t spend any time in the hospital. I had 30 rounds of radiation and nine rounds of chemo. 

I’m a single mother of three boys, but while I was sick I stayed in Little Rock with my parents and would go home visit my boys when I could. They were very supportive through the whole experience. 

In January 2006 I finished my treatment. I came back every three months for a while and then every six months. After today’s appointment I don’t have to come back anymore! 

When something like this happens you just have to stay positive and let the doctors do their job. They know what they’re doing, and they will get you through it.”

Virginia Kelsey
Squamous cell carcinoma survivor
Springdale, Ark.

required attribute "type" missing