April 4, 2011

Kathy Don and John Huet | Multiple Myeloma Survivors

John Huet and Kathy Don toss together

Kathy Don
Multiple myeloma survivor
Boca Raton, Fla.

“I was only 47 when I was diagnosed with myeloma. I have a teenage son, and undergoing a treatment plan that would only add five or 10 years to my life just wasn’t enough. I wanted a more aggressive treatment, so I came to UAMS.

Kathy Don, Multiple myeloma survivorOnce you come here you know that this is the only place to be. Every person you talk to is so knowledgeable. You go through an evolution while you’re here, and even though your appearance changes everyone remembers you by name. You’re really treated like family.

The nurses are so wonderful that you want to do something special for them, but there’s nothing you can ever do to repay them for everything they’ve done for you.

I’ve met so many other women with myeloma while I’ve been here. We’ve formed a circle of friends. I also met my friend and fellow survivor John Huet and wanted to do my Seed of Hope token toss with him.

We may be going back to Florida now, but we will be forever tied to this place.”

John Huet
Multiple myeloma survivor
St. Petersburg, Fla.

John Huet and Kathy Don | Multiple Myeloma Survivors | Seed of Hope  “Some routine blood work in late 2009 showed high levels of protein. I was diagnosed with myeloma in November 2009 and told my doctor that I wanted to come to Little Rock where it would be treated aggressively.

While I was here, I met Kathy Don, another myeloma survivor from Florida. We chose to do our Seed of Hope token toss together.

I’ve been in remission for six months and am here today to start my maintenance program. Now I’m ready to get back to the gym and do more fishing.”

required attribute "type" missing