October 6, 2011

Christy’s Story

Seed of Hope, Jaw Cancer
In July of 2007 I went to UAMS with lumps in my neck, I had noticed these lumps about 4 months before this. I had seen many doctors in my hometown, all of which told me that I had a cold or allergies. About 2 months into having the lumps I couldn’t even get out of bed, I was tired, losing weight, and just felt terrible all of the time. After going to the Ears, Nose, & Throat clinic at UAMS, I was diagnosed with in a couple of hours of having Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

I was 29 and this would be my second time to have cancer. The first time was at the age of 21 and I was diagnosed then with cervical cancer. I was happy that the doctors at UAMS wasted no time getting me started with treatments. I went through 6 months of chemotherapy and 31 straight days of radiation. After losing all my hair, taste buds, working salvia glands, and my dignity it was finally over. In March of 2008 I was cleared of all cancer cells. It is now 20 11 and I have had great reports since.

I thank the Lord everyday for giving another chance at life. All though I still have that thought in the back of my mind that I could get sick again, I push forward every day, living life to its fullest and never looking back. Having cancer of any kind is hard, the thought of having it, the tests, the treatments, and the looks you get from people; nothing can describe what it’s like to have this experience in your life.

I am now 34 years of age, still young enough to live a great life and I owe that to God and my team of doctors at UAMS.