October 18, 2011

Teresa Atkins | Multiple Myeloma Survivor

Teresa Atkins multiple myeloma survivor
“I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in January 2010.

Having cancer drastically changed and rearranged my priorities. I had to give up my job at the beginning of my treatment, but now I am able to spend time doing things that really matter to me, like spending time with my family and volunteering.

My experience with cancer has helped me learn to live in the moment and enjoy my life. I’m no longer worried about what may happen in the future; I’m focused on enjoying the moment.

One of the most significant moments from my treatment at the Cancer Institute was meeting the other patients. We encourage each other to stay hopeful and some of us still keep in touch outside the clinic.

The most important thing I would tell someone who has just been diagnosed with multiple myeloma is not to panic. Regardless of how scary having cancer is, there is always hope, no matter what.

I also think it is important for people who may have to travel back and forth long distances to know that the treatment at the Cancer Institute is worth it. The facilities and community are geared to support patients and their families.”

Teresa Atkins
Multiple myeloma survivor
Mobile, Ala.