January 17, 2012

Morris Cunningham | Squamous Cell Carcinoma Survivor

“When I was younger, my father taught me to never quit, and that’s what I did when I was diagnosed with cancer.  He always said that you couldn’t run away from your problems and if you did there was no sense in living because you would always be on the run.

My family has a long relationship with cancer. My son-in-law was diagnosed with cancer soon after I was. I gathered strength from watching him battle the disease and after he passed away, I knew I had to fight harder.

My family and friends were very supportive, but my daughter really helped take care of me during my treatment. She was very supportive, and even though she was taking care of my son-in-law, she was always there for me.

The best advice I could give anyone who was recently diagnosed with cancer is to ask questions. During my treatments I didn’t ask many questions. Because I didn’t ask, sometimes I didn’t understand how the treatments would affect my body. It is very important to make sure you understand what is going on during your treatments.“

Morris Cunningham
Squamous cell carcinoma survivor
Hampton, Ark.