October 1, 2012

Janice Duguid | Colon Cancer Survivor

clown
In September 2012, Janice Duguid of Smackover arrived at the UAMS Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute for her final infusion treatment. A stage 3 colon cancer survivor, Janice chose to mark the special day in a memorable way. Here is Janice’s story in her own words:

“While I was being treated for stage 3 colon cancer, my son — who happens to work at UAMS — would come with me for my infusion treatments. He’s so funny. I would be cackling like a hen the whole time I was getting my treatments. But no one else was laughing. Some of the women even cry because they are so afraid.

I decided that I was going to find a way to brighten everyone’s mood when I came for my final treatment. So I dressed like a clown!

I brought balloons with stuffed animals tied to the strings and two dozen donuts for the nurses and patients. When I walked through the café in my costume, everyone looked at me. I just called out, “It’s my last day of infusion!” They all stood up and clapped!

This experience is the best thing that’s happened to me. I’ve been running like a rat in a cage my whole life; when I was diagnosed with cancer it was like God tapped me on the shoulder and said, ‘Let’s have lunch.’ It forced me to slow down and made me realize how much God loves me.

Since my diagnosis, two people in my family have gone for screenings. Both were found to have cancer — one had colon cancer and one had prostate cancer. They both were caught early. I’m so glad that, through my experience, they saw the importance of screenings were able to be treated.

When you find out you have cancer, you need to have faith and not fear. You need to keep a strong belief system, and the Lord will be there for you.

Don’t waste your affliction, because good can come from it. The brightest light comes from the darkest places.”

Janice Duguid
Colon cancer survivor
Smackover, Ark.