April 12, 2013

Claudia Jessup | Multiple Myeloma Survivor

Claudia Jessup Multiple Myeloma Santa Fe, New Mexico

Jon Richards, husband of myeloma survivor Claudia Jessup, drew this illustration of her Seed of Hope token ceremony.

“I had multiple myeloma, and I have been in complete remission since my second transplant in September 2005.

This experience with cancer has exacerbated my appreciation of the fact that one has to truly enjoy every single lovely moment that life has to offer and not dwell on the negatives. I learned the true meaning of being here now and taking everything one day at a time. And also the value of surrender, letting go of plans and expectations and simply viewing the experience as just that, another of life’s adventures.

I cannot gloss over the fact that in my healing curve it was often a case of one giant step forward and two baby steps back, but I was never alone. Besides the unconditional support of my family and friends, I was cared for and comforted on a daily basis by the UAMS-MIRT doctors, nurses, technicians and staff. And the other patients were always around to share, inspire and encourage.

I’m alive and thriving and absolutely no one would have taken a bet on that fact eight years ago. My life is thanks to Dr. Barlogie, all the researchers and every single person at the institute.”

Claudia Jessup
Multiple Myeloma
Santa Fe, New Mexico