July 31, 2013

Sharon Rejistre | Breast Cancer Survivor

Fear gripped my heart when I was diagnosed in March of 2010, I was initially diagnosed with stage 3 left breast cancer and three positive lymph-nodes. In my mind I thought about what happened that I had to be the one with this disease. I was 29 yrs. old with three small children and about to celebrate 7 years of marriage in the coming months. I found the lump myself during a shower and went in to get it checked and 3 years later I can say I am a two time breast cancer survivor. I came to UAMS to see Dr. Ronda Henry-Tillman as a second opinion and she remains my doctor to this day. I had 17 rounds of chemotherapy and 27 radiation treatments, and a bilateral double mastectomy with reconstruction. The best decision I could have made ever was to change doctors and move forward. I am very blessed and thankful to have had the care and treatment I received at this cancer center. Last year on the exact same day as my initial diagnosis I had a reoccurrence to the left chest wall same diagnosis and I had 8 chemo treatments and surgery to remove the mass. I am not saddened by this journey but I am strengthened and encouraged. It gave me hope to continue fighting for others as well as growing in the faith. It’s not what you go through but how you go through it.

Sharon Rejistre
Breast Cancer Survivor