June 16, 2016

Stephanie Remsing | Rhabdomyosarcoma survivor

It all started when I was 12 years old. I was a normal preteen. I was all about my friends and my (at the time) 2-year-old dog. I had always had allergies when I was younger, and my allergies this particular spring were horrendous. My mother finally took me to the doctor to get some antibiotics for some relief. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. We went back after the antibiotic had run its course and I was still sick, even to the point of worsening. The doctor gave me more antibiotics which didn’t work.

My mother (who is my hero) finally told the doctor to check further than just a sinus infection because the antibiotics weren’t working. They proceeded to do a CT of my head and had thought they saw that my polyps needed to be removed. I went in for surgery and was put to sleep. Next thing I know I’m being woken up and taken straight to Children’s Hospital.

They did two weeks worth of tests to finally find out I had stage 3 close to stage 4 nasalpharengeal rhabdomyosarcoma. I never thought children could get cancer. I dropped down to 42 lbs at the age of 12! I didn’t weigh enough as is. I had to relearn how to walk, talk and eat due to the effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy on my body.

I fought, I won, and I continue to support all cancer patients in any way I can. As a 24 year old currently this is my career goal, to spread awareness, and to let cancer patients know they are NOT the only one!

Stephanie Remsing
Rhabdomyosarcoma survivor