November 16, 2017

Lisa Fields | Breast Cancer Survivor

“I’ve been a nurse at UAMS since 2002. After being diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2016, I had to quit in order to go through treatment and deal with the side effects. As a mom and a nurse, I’m used to taking care of other people, so it was hard getting used to other people taking care of me.

There were some bumps in the road that delayed my chemo, but the journey is almost over now. Dr. Makhoul has taken wonderful care of me. I love him to death! And the staff in the infusion clinic and Radiation Oncology Center are the best. Everyone has been kind, nice and respectful.

My daughters have been there for me the whole time, driving me to my appointments and making sure I got everything I needed. When my hair started falling out, they shaved my head and we just decided to have fun with it. They’ve taken good care of me.

I’m looking forward now to feeling better and being able to get out of the house. I’d like to get back to traveling and being independent again. I have learned that there is hope, and UAMS the best place to be. I wouldn’t go anywhere else.”

Lisa Fields
Breast cancer survivor
Austin, Arkansas