November 20, 2017

Walt Eilers | Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Nose Survivor

“I was misdiagnosed three times before I made some phone calls and got an appointment with Dr. Suen. He was my lighthouse in the storm.

In April, I went totally deaf. I called Dr. Suen and said, “I can’t hear what you’re saying, but I need to make an appointment to get this fixed right away!” He sent me a text with my appointment time and the hearing specialist I would be seeing. That’s the type of care you receive at UAMS.

My wife, Linda, was my right hand during this experience and my dog, who I call my “little nurse,” loved to snuggle up next to me. She would lay her head on my chemo port and was always by my side.

I would have to say that being diagnosed with cancer has made me more patient and accepting of my own mortality. I started delivering communion as a result of my experience, which in turn helped me be more caring and attentive. I want to show up to help before I’m even asked.

I also value my health and the health of others more. My outlook has become more positive, and I’m trying to live a better quality of life.”

Walt Eilers
Squamous cell carcinoma of the nose survivor
Fayetteville, Arkansas