March 2, 2018

Patricia A. Gray | Breast Cancer Survivor

“Today I am celebrating my last chemotherapy session. I was diagnosed in April 2017 and started chemo in June. After I have surgery, I’ll be done with my treatment.

This was not a planned journey, but it’s a journey that has brought me closer to my family. My husband has been very supportive and has come to every appointment with me from the beginning. He’s been my rock. When I got the diagnosis, I told him that this was just a bump in our road. We were going to be OK.

My boys live in Seattle, but they call me every few days. We have family here who are constantly checking on us. I was hospitalized for a few days, and every time I looked up they were coming into the room.

The staff at the Cancer Institute has been wonderful and upbeat, including my hematologist Dr. Issam Makhoul, my surgeon Dr. Ronda Henry-Tillman, and everyone in the infusion clinics. Having their support and seeing the other patients going through the same thing made me realize we could beat this. There were times when I didn’t feel well, but I knew that between God and my family, I was going to make it through.

God has really been good to us. Without his blessings, it wouldn’t have happened. The prayers and love from our friends and family and the tremendous care from the staff got us here.”

Patricia A. Gray
Breast cancer survivor
Jacksonville, Ark.