September 13, 2018

Christy Harrison | Breast Cancer Survivor

“Today was my eighth and final chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. I was diagnosed the Monday after Easter 2018.

I had been at another treatment facility and had some pathology reports that showed the cancer was in my lymph nodes. However, we didn’t know where the primary cancer was located. I got an appointment to see Dr. Ronda Henry-Tillman at UAMS with on the same day I was diagnosed at the other facility. It was amazing.

At that first appointment she did an ultrasound, and there it was. She told me to come back the next day for a biopsy and said I was going to be fine. She worked with Dr. Erica Hill, and as soon as they came in the room, I felt at ease.

My oncologist is Dr. Makhoul, and I have also been seen by his nurse practitioner who is amazing. All of the nurses in Infusion Clinic 1 have been wonderful. They are compassionate and really know their jobs. I couldn’t have asked for better care. I can’t put into words how important they make you feel and how they keep you at ease. The state of Arkansas is very lucky to have this facility in our backyard.

I’ve been fortunate to have a huge support group of family and friends. It’s so important to have a positive attitude and a good support system.

Next, I will have surgery and then radiation. Hopefully after that’s over, I’ll get back to normal life.”

Christy Harrison
Breast cancer survivor
Lonoke, Ark.