September 30, 2019

Benjamin Teeter, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor
Center for Implementation Research
Department of Pharmacy Practice
UAMS College of Pharmacy

Research Interest Statement

My research program focuses on the improvement of patient care and public health through the application of implementation science. By studying how best to implement evidence-based interventions in community pharmacies, I hope to translate my research findings into meaningful policy changes that have a positive impact on access to high-quality care and preventive services for rural, underserved populations.

My research has focused on the implementation of innovations in community pharmacies. Specifically, my research has focused on: 1) adoption, implementation and sustainability of innovative patient care services in community pharmacies, 2) effects of social and behavioral factors on participation in organizational quality improvement, and 3) impact of pharmacy on improvement of public health.

Implementation science within pharmacy practice is still in a formative stage. I am one of a handful of researchers conducting implementation research in the pharmacy setting. I received training through the Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer (TIDIRC) hosted by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences (DCCPS). I am currently utilizing implementation science methods to establish collaborative relationships between community pharmacies and physician practices to improve HPV vaccination rates among rural, VFC-eligible adolescents.

Dr. Teeter’s Cancer-Related Grants

NIH/NCI 

Award: R21CA231180

Teeter, Benjamin: PI

Title “Improving HPV Vaccination Using Implementation Strategies in Community Pharmacies”

04/01/2019 to 03/31/2021

$261,000*

*cancer-related direct costs

Dr. Teeter’s UAMS Collaborators

Geoffrey Curran, Ph.D. (Director, Center for Implementation Research; Departments of Pharmacy Practice and Psychiatry)

Jeremy Thomas, Pharm.D. (Department of Pharmacy Practice)

Bradley Martin, Ph.D. (Division of Pharmaceutical Evaluation and Policy; Department of Pharmacy Practice)

Jose Romero, M.D. (Pediatric Infectious Diseases; Pediatrics)

Pearl McElfish, Ph.D., MBA (Vice Chancellor, NW Arkansas Campus; Director of the Office of Community Health and Research; Co-Director of the Center for Pacific Islander Health)

All Center for Implementation Research faculty and members 

Dr. Teeter’s External Collaborators

Salisa Westrick, Ph.D. (Auburn University)

Jennifer Bacci, Pharm.D., M.P.H. (University of Washington)

Tessa Hastings, Ph.D. (University of South Carolina)

And others …

Opportunities for Collaboration

I welcome new collaborations. I would be especially interested if you are someone who has an interest in implementing an evidence-based intervention for primary prevention, early detection, screening, etc. and would like implementation science methods to help guide your study/strategy. The entire team at the Center for Implementation Research welcomes these kinds of collaborations.

You May Not Know That …

I’m a big fan of Southern rock and have been known to follow a band around the country when they’re on tour. I also love college football, but I doubt many of you will agree with me on the best team in the SEC – War Eagle!

Recent Cancer-Related Publications

Teeter BS, Mosley C, Thomas JL, Martin BC, Jones D, Romero JR, Curran GM. Improving HPV Vaccination using Implementation Strategies in Community Pharmacies: Pilot Study Protocol. In Press. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2019.05.022.

Hastings, T.J., Hohmann, L.A., McFarland, S.J., Teeter, B.S., Westrick, S.C. (2017). Pharmacists’ Attitudes and Perceived Barriers to Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination Services. Pharmacy. (5) 45. doi:10.3390/pharmacy5030045

Westrick, S.C., Hohmann, L.A., McFarland, S.J., Teeter, B.S., White, K.K., & Hastings, T.J. (2017). Parental acceptance of human papillomavirus vaccinations and community pharmacies as vaccination settings: A qualitative study in Alabama. Papillomavirus Research, 3, 24-29. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pvr.2016.12.003