June 7, 2016 | Seventeen patient support programs have been awarded grants by the UAMS Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute Auxiliary.
The grants total $144,119 and represent proceeds from the auxiliary’s two fundraising programs — Partners Card and the auxiliary-run Cancer Institute Gift Shop.
In addition, new officers for 2016-2017 were elected at the auxiliary’s spring luncheon and annual meeting May 19. Officers are Kimberly Pickett, president; Tara Smith, president elect; Kenan Keyes, recording secretary; Cheryl Johnson, corresponding secretary; and Jake Eddington, treasurer.
Cancer Institute Auxiliary members provide day-to-day patient support services by greeting and escorting guests, serving snacks, assisting with cancer screening events, and working in the gift shop and Patient Support Pavilion. Other members participate in a variety of auxiliary-sponsored events throughout the year.
Projects receiving grants are:
- Cancer Institute Supplemental Pantry
- Oncology Massage for Cancer Institute Patients and Caregivers
- Oral, Head and Neck Cancer Screening
- Free Wigs and Caps for Cancer Institute Patients Experiencing Hair Loss
- Subscriptions for Print Materials in Patient Support Pavilion
- Program Support for Northwest Arkansas Cancer Support Home
- Tobacco Cessation Program
- Information and Education Binders for Patients
- Knitting Supplies for Sit and Knit
- Gift Cards for Service Recovery
- Integrative Therapies and for Cancer Patients and Caregivers/Yoga for Healing and Rejuvenation
- Cancer Institute Patient Support Fund
- Palliative Care Education and Bereavement Support Fund
- Patient Assistance Program – Reynolds Cancer Support House in Fort Smith
- HOPE Cancer Resources in Northwest Arkansas for Emergency Assistance Program
- Patient Safety and Cancer Treatment Support through CPR Readiness
- Envoy Ambassador Program